This year, Samsung tried to step up its design game via the launch of Galaxy S8 and the S8+. The Galaxy Note 8 is coming this month, and it has same design language as the S8 and S8+ with the infinity display and rear facing fingerprint scanner. Now, since Qualcomm has already showcased the in-screen fingerprint scanning technology at the NWC Shanghai, we are hoping to see phones with this technology soon. It was expected that Samsung Galaxy S9 would be the company’s first smartphone to feature this technology but a new report from KGI suggests something else.
Ming-Chi Kuo is a KGI Security analyst, and Business Insider even mentioned him as ‘The Most Accurate Apple Analyst In The World‘. He has now predicted some details about the next year’s high-end smartphones from Samsung, i.e., the Galaxy S9 and the Galaxy Note 9. As per Kuo, the Galaxy S9 will not feature any in-screen fingerprint scanning technology as Samsung has planned to stick with the rear-facing fingerprint scanner on this phone also.
Check out the deals on the Black Friday Festival.
Stating the reasons for this, here is what the report says –
Our prediction is based on:
(1) Synaptics’ optical fingerprint solution is facing technical issues relating to optical layer, making it difficult for the company to catch up with the mass production timeline for Galaxy S9.
(2) Competition from OLED iPhone, Galaxy S9’s biggest competitor.Since OLED iPhone has canceled under-display fingerprint recognition/ touch ID function, and as Galaxy S9 will have the new selling points of upgraded iris recognition and dual camera, Samsung does not need to risk adopting under-display optical fingerprint solution in a hurry;
(3) Egis is potentially replacing Synaptics as the fingerprint IC design supplier of S9.
Now coming to the Galaxy Note 9, it is going to have the fingerprint scanner embedded under the display. This will make it the first Samsung phone to feature this technology, this also has to be in your notice that the feature Samsung is going to get in its upcoming phone is already available with a best smartphone under 1000 INR, and you should check them out too. Here are the key points related to Galaxy Note 9’s under-screen fingerprint scanner –
(1) Samsung is likely cooperating with four suppliers at present: Samsung LSI, Egis, Synaptics and Goodix (CN);
(2) as Galaxy Note 9 needs new selling points, it is necessary for Samsung to add an optical fingerprint solution;
(3) The fact that Samsung simultaneously cooperates with Egis, Synaptics and Goodix means Samsung LSI’s optical fingerprint technology has likely yet to mature. Hence, Galaxy Note 9 will not necessarily adopt Samsung LSI’s solution;
(4) We believe Samsung LSI and Egis lead in optical fingerprint development among the four suppliers at present. Egis’ advantage lies in it being also an algorithm supplier, and able to optimize integration of software and hardware; and
(5) We forecast the wafer cost of optical fingerprint solution is 4-5 times that of its capacitive counterpart.
In the report, Kuo also predicted that Egis would replace Synaptics as Samsung’s largest fingerprint IC design supplier in 2018.
So, what do you think about this new report? Do let us know your opinions in the comments section below.
Redmi K30 Ultra with Dimensity 1000+ launched in China
Today, alongside the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra, the company also launched Redmi K30 Ultra. So now, there are five phones...
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra launched with 120W Charging & 120X Zoom
In February this year, Xiaomi Mi 10 series flagships launched in China that included the Mi 10 & the Mi...
Huawei Mate X2 has an in-folding display rather than out-folding
At the Mobile World Congress 2019, Huawei Mate X was showcased as the company’s first foldable smartphone. Unlike the Galaxy...
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra has a 120Hz Display, 120W Charging & 120X Zoom
A couple of days ago, a leak revealed the rear design of Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra & we got to...
Samsung Galaxy M51 launch imminent as support page goes live
Samsung is preparing for the launch of a new Galaxy M series device with the model number SM-M515F & it...
Realme C12 & Realme C15 to launch in India soon
In July, Realme C11 made its way to the Indian market & the device was launched at a price of...
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra has a 120x Zoom camera, images leaked
On August 11th, Xiaomi is going to celebrate its 10th anniversary & on this special occasion, the company has planned...