Emulator apps are fast becoming very popular as the only of downloading and playing console games on the iPhone or iPad, and now you don’t even need a jailbreak to do it. The latest emulator app to be released is called Provenance, and it’s very simple to download and use.
- 1 HOW TO DOWNLOAD PROVENANCE EMULATOR
- 2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS PROVENANCE EMULATOR?
Provenance is a multi-platform emulator app that emulates the Sega Master System, Game Gear Game, Sega Genesis, Nintendo, NES, SNES, PS2, Atari, and many more. It runs on all iOS devices compatible with iOS 9 or higher, but you won’t find it in the iOS app store. Emulators are the only way to get your iOS device to support games on platforms other than iOS 13, but Apple doesn’t allow this type of app in the store. It is packed with great features that you won’t find in any other app, and there is no need to jailbreak to install it.
Some of the best features include:
- Support for multiple platforms
- Game emulation is accurate and at full game speed
- Enjoy real-time stereo audio
- Games controls can be configured to your requirements
- Various save states
- Doesn’t hog your battery, RAM, or any other app resources
- Upload your custom artwork
- OpenVGDB for artwork
- Easy download
- Free to use
- Download ROMs via Provenance
- No jailbreak needed
- Many more features
HOW TO DOWNLOAD PROVENANCE EMULATOR
Playing retro console games on your iPhone or iPad has never been easier. Although the app store isn’t an option, Provenance can still be downloaded in two ways. Before you start, do make sure iTunes is up to date and you back your data up – hopefully, nothing will go wrong but, if it does, at least you can restore your data and settings.
METHOD 1: IPA FILE DOWNLOAD
For this, you need your Mac or PC, Cydia Impactor, the Provenance IPA file, and your Apple ID. Read on for the download links and instructions:
- First, download Cydia Impactor onto your computer – this is required for signing and installing the IPA file
- Download the Provenance IPA file onto your computer and save it on your desktop for easy access
- Extract the IPA file
- Plug your iPhone or iPad into your computer and open the Cydia Impactor tool
- Wait – it needs to detect your iPhone or iPad first
- When it has, you can find and drag the IPA file into the open app
- You will be asked for your Apple details – type them in and, if the Expired Certificate warning pops up, tap OK
- Click Start and wait. This could take a few minutes so be patient and do not touch your computer or device
- When it’s done, you will get a Successful Installation message on your screen
- Provenance app is ready – if you get an Untrusted Developer error when you try to use it, see below for steps to resolve.
METHOD 2: vSHARE APP
vShare is another app store, an unofficial one that was released initially to replace some of what we could get from Cydia without having to jailbreak first. It offers a choice of other emulators as well as Provenance, alongside a huge range of modified apps and games, other tweaks and paid apps for free. Because of what it offers, it is a popular way of installing Provenance emulator app:
- Using Safari browser on your device, go to the vShare page and download the installer
- Open it by tapping on the app icon
- Tap on Apps > vShare Apps
- Search the list or use the search box to find Provenance
- Tap on it and tap on Install next to it
- Tap Install on the popup message
- When it’s done, Provenance is on your home screen and ready to use
HOW TO FIX UNTRUSTED DEVELOPER ERROR:
When you install any unofficial apps, you will need to trust the developer. This is a security measure by Apple, in a bd to stop unauthorized apps from being used on your device but its very simple to get around. All you need to do is trust the developer; here’s how:
- Open your iOS settings app
- Tap on the General option and go to Profiles & Device Management
- There, you will see a list of the profiles on your device – tap the developer you want to trust (if you used Cydia Impactor, you might see your Apple ID – tap on this)
- Tap on the Trust option, and then you can close settings
This should be done for all unofficial content; when you use the app again, the error won’t appear.
HOW TO ADD ROMS TO PROVENANCE:
Before we tell you this, a warning. Unless you own the physical game that you want the ROM for, it is illegal to download them as they are copyrighted – you continue at your own risk.
When you open the emulator app, there won’t be anything in it; its down to you to add the ROMS.
- Open Provenance emulator on your iPhone or iPad
- From the app home screen, tap the + button – this will let you add the ROMs
- Tap the built-in web browser and type in the name of the game you want the ROM for.
- Tap on any reputable link and tap on the game you want
- Download it to your device
- Find it and choose to open it in Provenance
- You and open provenance emulator will see your new games – tap to play them
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is Provenance Safe to Use?
Yes. As well as the work the developers have done, we also tested it and can confirm it is safe. It doesn’t require a jailbreak, so your device is not being hacked into and opened to external threats. So long as you use the official links (provided here), you won’t have any trouble.
What Games Can I Play?
Provenance is a multi-platform emulator, supporting, Sega, Nintendo, NES, SNES, Atari, PS2, and others. Any retro game on those platforms can be played.
Will it Run My Battery Down?
No. it doesn’t take up much in the way of any resources on your device, making it a very efficient emulator.
Provenance is the latest in a long line of external emulator apps that you don’t need to jailbreak to use. It is entirely free and safe to use, giving you back your old favorite games on your iPhone or iPad.
Realme X2 Pro arrives with Snapdragon 855+ & 90Hz Display
Realme is on a launch spree this year & while we have seen quite a lot of mid-range & budget...
Redmi K30 will be Redmi’s first 5G phone with a punch-hole display
There was a time when OnePlus was the only brand to provide a flagship-grade processor in the budget range. But...
Xiaomi is working on a 50X digital zoom smartphone camera
Smartphone cameras are improving every single day. From a single lens at the back to the quad-camera setup, they’ve come...
Mi Band 5 will offer NFC support and might come with built-in mic
The Mi Band 4 was introduced in India a few months back and the company has already started working on...
Alleged Realme X2 Pro pricing leaks, to start at 2,498 Yuan
Realme X2 Pro is a hot topic right now due to the fact that it is launching soon with crazy...
Redmi Note 8 Pro launch in India set to happen on October 16
In August, Redmi Note 8 & Note 8 Pro launched in China with impressive specifications & pricing. Now, Redmi is...
Motorola One Macro launched in India, priced at Rs 9,999
Motorola launched a new Motorola One series phone in India today, the Motorola One Macro. So, while the Motorola One...