A year back, Lineage OS came into the ROM world as ‘CyanogenMod’ said goodbye. The legacy of the CyanogenMod continues as the same developers are now working on Lineage OS, which is just a renamed ‘CyanogenMod.’ Today, the much awaited Android Oreo-based Lineage OS 15.1 officially arrived which finally brings all the Android Oreo goodies to the supported phones. On the official Lineage blog, it is mentioned that the developers didn’t just forward-ported the Lineage OS 14.1 to 15.1 as the whole code has been changed to keep up with all the Treble related stuff.
- 1 LINEAGE OS 15.1 – MAIN HIGHLIGHTS
- 2 LIST OF PHONES GETTING LINEAGE OS 15.1 UPDATE – ANDROID OREO
- 3 HOW TO UPGRADE FROM THE LINEAGE OS 14.1 TO LINEAGE OS 15.1?
- 4 WHAT IF YOU WANT TO UPGRADE FROM ANY OTHER ROM TO LINEAGE OS 15.1?
LINEAGE OS 15.1 – MAIN HIGHLIGHTS
Last year in August, a survey was posted on the official blog where users submitted the features they are interested to see in the next builds so that the developers can focus on only the features that are needed by the users. Some of those features have been added to the latest version of Lineage OS.
This might be one of the highly requested features in next Lineage OS, and with the LineageOS 15.1, users can select a custom accent color. Also, there is now an option to choose either a dark theme or a light theme. There is also a ‘LiveDisplay’ feature that you might have seen in other ROMs like Resurrection Remix also. When turned on, this feature will automatically make the display light up more in the day whereas the exact opposite is done in the night i.e., a dark theme is applied along with dimming the brightness so that it’s easier on the eyes.
Based on your wallpaper colors, the Automagic feature will let you have the best color combination for the overall theme of your phone so that t matches the wallpaper.
A BRAND NEW TREBUCHET LAUNCHER –
Trebuchet has been in existence since the beginning of CyanogenMod and remains one of the best-inbuilt launchers among many ROMs. With the LineageOS 15.1, the Trebuchet launcher has been redesigned with some new features. The launcher now supports custom icon packs, adaptive icons, etc. Users can change the style of the icons also as there are styles like circle, superellipse, squircle, and teardrop available with the new Trebuchet launcher.
SNAP CAMERA NOW COMES WITH QR SUPPORT –
This is a feature available in many camera apps like Moto camera etc. which reads the QR codes. This feature has been added to the inbuilt Snap camera app in Lineage OS 15.1, and it supports QR-encoded URLs, plain text, SMS, email addresses, contacts cards, events, phone numbers and location coordinates.
LIST OF PHONES GETTING LINEAGE OS 15.1 UPDATE – ANDROID OREO
Right now, there are only a few phones for which the Lineage OS 15.1 ROM is available officially. But, as mentioned on the official blog, more devices will be added in coming days as seen with previous builds of Lineage OS. Also, due to the lack of support for the HAL1 camera recorder, some phones may not get the official LineageOS 15.1 build right now, but the developers are working on it. Here is the list of phones getting Lineage OS 15.1 update –
- Google Nexus 6P – angler – moved from 14.1
- Google Nexus 5X – bullhead – moved from 14.1
- LeEco Le Pro3 / Le Pro3 Elite – zl1 – moved from 14.1
- OnePlus 3 / 3T – oneplus3 – moved from 14.1
- OnePlus 5 – cheeseburger – moved from 14.1
- OnePlus 5T – dumpling – maintainers: codeworkx, amartinz
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Wi-Fi (2016) – gts210vewifi – moved from 14.1
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Wi-Fi (2016) – gts28vewifi – moved from 14.1
- Xiaomi Mi 5 – gemini – moved from 14.1
- Xiaomi Mi 5S – capricorn – moved from 14.1
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Plus – natrium – moved from 14.1
As we mentioned, more and more devices will be added soon. So, if you don’t see your phone on the list, no need to worry.
HOW TO UPGRADE FROM THE LINEAGE OS 14.1 TO LINEAGE OS 15.1?
If you are on the previous version of Lineage OS, i.e., the Lineage OS 14.1, and want to upgrade to Lineage OS 15.1 ( if your phone is listed above!), then here are the steps you need to take for upgrading.
- First, make sure that all your data is backed up as all the data in the internal storage will be deleted in this process (not the external storage!)
- Now, download the latest LineageOS 15.1 ZIP file from the official site or use the built-in updater that automatically downloads the latest ZIP file if it is available. Make sure to place the downloaded ZIP file in the external storage and not the internal storage as the internal storage will be completely wiped. If you have downloaded the ZIP file using the built-in updater, then make sure to export the file to external SD card by long pressing the file and then selecting ‘Export’ option.
- After the ROM zip file, download the suitable GAPPS and SU ZIP files. Make sure to download the ones compatible with Android 8.1 and not the Android 8.0!
- Now, boot into the recovery mode. It is necessary to have an updated recovery.
- Next, format the system partition.
- Now, install the Lineage OS 15.1 ZIP file by selecting ‘Install’ and then choosing the ‘ZIP’ file. Then, Swipe for flash. (If you are on TWRP). After the ZIP file is installed, don’t reboot. Install the GAPPS file in the same way and after that is installed, do the same for SU file.
- When everything is installed, do a simple reboot, and there you have it! You have successfully upgraded to LineageOS 15.1 from the Lineage OS 14.1.
WHAT IF YOU WANT TO UPGRADE FROM ANY OTHER ROM TO LINEAGE OS 15.1?
In that case, all the steps are the same except for the fact that you need to Wipe the whole data except the external storage. It is very important to wipe data if you want to upgrade from any other ROM except for the official Lineage OS ROM.
Well, that was all about the all-new LineageOS 15.1, the list of phones getting Lineage OS 15.1 update and how to upgrade to the latest version. The nightly builds will be rolled out from February 26th as right now, the ‘Experimental’ builds are available for the selected phones. If you are on the experimental build of LineageOS 15.1, then the built-in updater won’t be showing you any OTA updates in case nightly build is available as you have to flash that manually.
Like DroidHolic on Facebook
Motorola One shows up on TENAA with an HD+ display & 3,000mAh battery
Motorola recently launched the Moto Z3 and Motorola P30 in China, but we still don’t know when the Motorola One...
Xiaomi Pocophone F1 pricing for India leaks, 6GB + 128GB for Rs 25,000!
Xiaomi, on August 22, will launch its first smartphone under the new sub-brand ‘Poco’ and the device is going to...
List of phones getting Android Pie Update (Android 9)
Google announced Android Pie on August 6, and as expected, the Google Pixel devices were the first to get updated...
Huawei confirms the Mate 20 series will feature 7nm Kirin 980 chipset
Huawei was the first to launch a mobile chipset with an integrated Neural Network Processing Unit when the company announced...
Realme 2 with a notch & fingerprint scanner shows up on official site
At the end of July, Realme announced that it is now a standalone brand. Also, Oppo’s Vice President (Sky Li)...
Xiaomi Pocophone F1 with Snapdragon 845 benchmarked on Geekbench
On August 22, Xiaomi will launch its first smartphone under the new sub-brand ‘Poco’, and this is going to be...
Oppo teases dual aperture camera on the Oppo R17 Pro
Oppo recently announced the R17 and it is the world’s first smartphone to feature the all-new Snapdragon 670 processor and...